Wednesday, August 27, 2008

First Week at School

We have embarked on our first week of school. It is great to have structure back to our lives and to have Jay no longer resent us of our lazy summer days. Problem is we are all so tired. We aren't use to this schedule after summer vacation. I guess we will get used to it, but in the meantime don't grudge us the messy house. Sometimes you just have to drop one of the balls.

Beth has enjoyed playing with Madelyn and Alex this week and it has been fun to care for them. It is amazing how much little kids make me laugh. It is also weird having Beth as the only one home with me at times.

Joshua is in Kindergarten and loves it! He gets to go to the same school with Elliott. We are in the process of getting his speech teaching figured out. He took the summer off to have his surgery. At school he is learning the new rules and making friends. After the first day he came home and crashed on the carpet.

Elliott is in the first grade again. We were a little concerned if this was the best thing for him or if he would feel bad about the repeat, but he seems to be doing fine. We finally got his meds right and he is doing well so far. His schoolwork has improved 100% already, and he is reading which is something he could not do well by the end of last year. We worked a lot on that this summer.

Michael is in his first year of middle school. We were very nervous about the transition. He is also riding the bus and in band. He seems to enjoy it, but it is a lot more work. Hopefully he stays on task. What amazed me most were his long days. His bus picks him up at 7:20 and drops him off at 4:20. We are excited for him to start playing the baritone.

Lastly there is me back in school. This is the last semester so I am really "trunky". I am taking what remains of my communications minor studies and an upper level English elective. My thoughts are mixed as I am older than two of my professors (only by a few years though). I miss the history classes. I am also so tired! The new schedule is kicking my butt. I hope I get adjusted soon. Despite the exhaustion, I am glad for the opportunity and the awesomeness of attending and finishing college.

1 comment:

Liz said...

I can't believe Michael is in middle school! Holy cow! You are the parent of a middle schooler! Hard to wrap my mind around that one! I hope he doesn't give you as much trouble as I gave my parents! :) Middle school was not my most shining time!